Equinix Expands in Amsterdam to Support Increased Interconnection Needs
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands — April 09, 2021 — Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the world's digital infrastructure company™, today announced the completion of the construction of AM7 phase 3, an expansion of Equinix’s AM7 International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) in Amsterdam. The 63 million dollar investment boosts the capacity for further digitisation of local and international customers. To date, Equinix has invested over US$1B into its data centers in Amsterdam.
Equinix continues to invest in the Netherlands to support the country’s many emerging technology-driven industries, including financial services, healthcare, manufacturing, content & digital media, and the public sector. With data generation and analysis continuing to rapidly increase across these industries, the need to reduce complexity is growing. Traditional network architecture no longer suffices; companies need to implement comprehensive digital architectures to access, store, exchange and analyse data efficiently.
Against the backdrop of the COVID-19 pandemic, the urgency for digital leaders to ensure their businesses have robust digital infrastructures and strategies in place is more pronounced than ever. Directly and securely connecting to wide-ranging business ecosystems is vital for competitive advantage. The demand for digital service providers is rising, with IT leaders recognising that interconnection is a key factor in digital transformation. In a digital hub such as Amsterdam, where many service providers are at the heart of thriving ecosystems, there is a continuous need for growth.
Highlights / Key Facts
- The Netherlands has a mature digital infrastructure and an evolved data center landscape, with its geographic location providing strong connectivity routes to countries around the world. The new era of digital trade has led Internet Exchanges, clouds, networks and service providers to choose to connect via Equinix’s Amsterdam data centers to critical global business ecosystems.
Equinix is supporting the digital economy of Amsterdam by further investing in its capacity to host growing business ecosystems, enabling enterprises to deploy, extend and enhance their digital infrastructure to be prepared for whatever comes next. The completion of AM7 phase 3 will add 4,125 square meters and 1,420 cabinet equivalents to the existing site, bringing its total capacity to 11,600 square meters.
- Due to the influence of major macro-trends and the emergence of COVID-19-driven changes to business and consumer needs, interconnection bandwidth—the capacity for private data exchange—is predicted to grow by 45% per year through to 2023, according to Equinix’s Global Interconnection Index.
- Equinix is working with enterprises to simplify the transition to digital infrastructure models fit for the future of companies’ success. Through Equinix Fabric™ and Network Edge, Equinix is empowering digital leaders to architect a network with the agility needed to respond to increasingly dynamic business environments. This enables companies to directly and securely connect to partners, vendors and customers in a quick and scalable manner. Further, Equinix Metal bridges between the public cloud and colocation, making it an essential tool for application owners and developers.
- As the world's digital infrastructure company, Equinix is working to protect, connect and power a more sustainable digital world by proactively addressing its environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) impacts. AM7 phase 3 has been built in line with global environmental standards and will contribute to a portfolio of some of the most energy-efficient data centers in the world. It has been designed to make best use of the local environmental conditions and provide “co-benefits” to the local Amsterdam community. Environmental initiatives at the site include the transfer of residual heat to the front of house office, and the use of hybrid dry coolers for energy- and water efficient cooling. Additionally, preparations are being made to connect residual heat to a low temperature heat network to provide heating to homes and businesses in Amsterdam Southeast.
- Michiel Eielts, Managing Director, The Netherlands, Equinix:
“The importance of digitisation has become clear to everyone, especially during the COVID-19 crisis. The Netherlands embraces digitisation and interconnection, and the direct exchange of data between organisations has become increasingly important. Amsterdam is one of Europe's most cloud-dense and highly connected cities, offering low-latency connectivity to the rest of the world. Equinix’s AM7 is a state-of-the-art data center and a key location in Europe. We have worked to ensure it supports large numbers of networks, cloud and service providers, in a sustainable and energy-efficient way. That is so important. Rich connectivity is the foundation of successful business ecosystems, allowing participants to develop and grow, whilst also strengthening each other. AM7 is at the core of the Equinix Southeast campus, which forms an important hub in the international digital infrastructure that businesses need today.”
- Eugene Bergen Henegouwen, President, EMEA, Equinix:
“We are pleased to announce the completion of this latest build in Amsterdam. The increased investment enables us to serve even more customers and support them with highly interconnected ecosystems on Platform Equinix®. The expansion of AM7, a strategic hub location, should greatly support Dutch organisations as they continue in their digital transformation journeys, helping them thrive in the global digital economy during these challenging times.”
- Stijn Grove, Managing Director, Dutch Datacenter Association:
“It has recently become even clearer that data centers are an indispensable link in our digitally transforming economy and society. Amsterdam has a crucial role to play as a key digital hub and gateway to Europe. AM7 offers new opportunities for the expansion of digital ecosystems and also demonstrates Equinix's commitment to making their data centers as sustainable as possible.”
- Digital Demand Forecasted to Drive 45% Growth in Interconnection [blog]
- Equinix 2019-20 Global Tech Trends Survey [report]
- Global Interconnection Index (GXI), Volume 4 [report]
- Learn more about Equinix Fabric™ [website]
- Learn more about Equinix in Amsterdam [website]
Equinix (Nasdaq: EQIX) is the world’s digital infrastructure company, enabling digital leaders to harness a trusted platform to bring together and interconnect the foundational infrastructure that powers their success. Equinix enables today’s businesses to access all the right places, partners and possibilities they need to accelerate advantage. With Equinix, they can scale with agility, speed the launch of digital services, deliver world-class experiences and multiply their value.
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX® data centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix products and solutions; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenues from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; a failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; risks related to our taxation as a REIT; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see recent Equinix quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.